Supportive Housing

At the Jean Tweed Centre we understand the importance of affordable, safe, and secure housing in the lives of women and children. To support women’s housing needs, the Jean Tweed Centre has two supportive housing projects. Both these projects offer a range of supports for women with respect to mental health and/or substance use, as well as maintaining housing and other goals related to overall health and well-being.

The Jean Tweed Centre and Mainstay Housing Supportive Housing Program

This program offers affordable, permanent housing to women who are homeless or marginally housed, and who also identify substance use concerns. This program hosts 32 self-contained apartments in the Toronto area.

Every woman in the program has an individual counsellor. These workers provide intensive support on issues related to substance use and they connect women with other important supports such as primary health care. Women may also take part in a variety of groups offered by the counselors.

The Jean Tweed Centre and YWCA Elm Centre Partnership

The Jean Tweed Centre and YWCA Elm Centre offers a new residential complex located in the heart of downtown Toronto. Jean Tweed provides on-site individualized support to 150 women living in the residential complex, and the YWCA provides a number of community programs, as well as specialized mental health and occupational therapy support.

For more information regarding the Elm Centre, please visit:

While up to 30 units at Elm are reserved for clients of Jean Tweed programs, all applications to the Elm program must be made through Coordinated Access for Supportive Housing (CASH) – see below for application details.

How to apply

The application process for both supportive housing programs is through Coordinated Access for Supportive Housing (CASH). This is the centralized waiting list for all mental health and addictions supportive housing in Toronto.

Click here to access the CASH application form. Please submit the completed application to CASH who will forward referrals to the Jean Tweed Centre or the YWCA when vacancies arise.

Please note: If you are already connected to the Jean Tweed Centre, please contact your counselor for support to fill out the relevant referral forms.

This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.